In North Dakota a person may not act as a real estate broker or advertise or assume to act as a real estate broker without a broker license issued by the ND Real Estate Commission. The following provides general licensing information for real estate brokers.
- An applicant for a real estate broker's license shall have been actively engaged as a licensed real estate salesperson for a period of 2 years preceding the date of application OR
- An applicant shall have had experience as determined by the Commission to be substantially equal to that which a licensed real estate salesperson would ordinarily receive during a 2-year period.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- To obtain a North Dakota real estate license all applicants must submit $8 with their application for a credit report.
NOTE: the $150 and $8 fees can be submitted together, two separate checks are NOT necessary.
- Each licensee applying for a real estate broker license must complete the Personal Authorization for Criminal History Record Check Request form.
Criminal background check:
Each licensee applying for a real estate broker license must complete and submit the Personal Authorization for Criminal History Record Check Request form with the Broker License Application.
Once a Broker License Application, fees, and the Criminal History Record Check Request is received by the NDREC office a Fingerprinting Kit will be mailed to you, including:
- (2) fingerprint cards
- List of possible locations offering fingerprinting
- Fingerprint Verification form
- Envelope to return to NDREC
- Tamper proof seal
Upon getting fingerprinted you will need to mail the following back to the NDREC office:
- Completed fingerprinting cards.
- Check for $41.25 made out to the ND Attorney General.
- A salesperson who applies for a broker's license must have successfully completed an additional specific, commission-approved 60-hour broker education course. Continuing education hours do not count toward education requirements for a broker license application. The commission may not waive educational requirements but may consider approving, upon written request, certain educational courses of study closely related to the real estate broker profession.
- $150 application fee, beginning July 1, 2019.
- $150 annual renewal fee (real estate licenses expire December 31st of each year unless renewed), beginning July 1, 2019.
- Applicants will be provided a letter of approval and test ID number. Once received they may contact AMP to schedule a time to take the examination.
- Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) administers the broker examination at H&R Block locations in Bismarck and Fargo. www.goAMP.com
Errors & Omissions Insurance:
- North Dakota requires all active licensees to carry errors and omission insurance, proof of which must be provided to the Commission office prior to the issuance of a real estate license.
Education, Research & Recovery Fund:
- Any person who is licensed for the first time is required to pay $20 into the Education, Research & Recovery Fund at the time of licensing. This fee is paid by the licensee only once.
Continuing Education requirements:
The continuing education cycle for North Dakota licensees is 9 hours annually. Licensees must complete 9 hours of CE, 3 of which may be in a mandatory course, prior to renewing their licenses. Accepted CE must be taken between January 1st and December 31st.
AMP Candidate handbook
Applied Measurement Professionals Inc. (AMP) is our license examination provider. Click here to read or download the Candidate Handbook: AMP Candidate handbook. You may also go to www.goAMP.com, click on "Candidates Get Started" then Click on "What to Expect" to view a short video on the testing process.
Cooke Real Estate School
Cooke Real Estate School 800.943.9993
Documents for Residents of North Dakota or Reciprocal States
Consent to Suit Non-Resident Broker (Reciprocal)
E&O Insurance Certificate of Coverage
Current, Original Certificate of Licensure from all states in which the applicant currently holds and has held a license.