In June 2022, the N.D. Legislative Rules Committee approved rules changes to North Dakota Administrative Code (NDAC) Chapter 70. These updated N.D. real estate practice rules took effect July 1, 2022, and include the following changes in NDAC 70-02-04 -- Continuing Education.
- Annual continuing education required for a licensee to renew as active increased from 9 hours to 12 hours.
- NDREC has waived the additional 3 CE hours for the current CE period only – Nov. 16, 2021 through Nov. 15, 2022.
- Nonresident licensees are exempt from CE requirements if they meet CE requirements in their state of residence. (70-02-04-04)
- No limit on number of education hours taken per day. (70-02-04-14 – repealed)
- New salespersons who have completed the 90-hour pre-licensure course are exempt from the CE requirement for their first license renewal. (70-02-04-15)
During the current CE cycle, Nov. 16, 2021 through Nov. 15, 2022, the following requirements also apply to licensees if not otherwise exempted:
There are 2 mandatory course topics, and 3 hours on each topic must be taken. The mandatory topics and required hours are:
- Respect, ethics and professionalism -- 3 hours total, and also
- Fair housing -- 3 hours total
The 6 hours of mandatory topics, plus an additional 3 CE hours on an elective topic or topics combine for 9 hours total. Continuing education for renewing your license as active for 2023 must be taken between Nov.16, 2021 and completed by Nov. 15, 2022. There is not a grace period for completing your annual continuing education. If you do not have the required number of hours taken by Nov. 15, 2022, you need to renew as inactive for calendar year 2023. If you renew as inactive due to late completion of CE, you can transfer to an active license after the new calendar year has begun and you have completed the CE as described above.
See “Approved Courses” link, at right.